Thursday, October 10, 2013

What does it mean to be a servant of the King?

I thought I would start off my blogging career explaining the name of my blog.  A couple of years ago, I wrote the lyrics for a song for my husband and I to sing at my son's baby dedication.  It was called "God Is Your Hero", and basically, it was about our promises to our son to teach him about God and who he is in Christ.  Also,the song portrayed God as the one who can "do it all", and us just as God's sidekicks that will undoubtedly make mistakes.  I thought the song was special because not only did I write the lyrics, but my husband wrote the music.  It was our song to our son.  So being pregnant with a girl this time, I decided I wanted to write another song for our daughter.

One day while sitting in church "listening to the sermon", I was distracted by lyrics (or at least ideas for lyrics) for a song.  I started thinking about how our children are not really ours but God's, and He has given them to us so we can take care of them here on earth.  So I have now written the chorus to the song for our daughter, which for now I will call "Daughter of a King".  The idea of the song is that we (my husband and I) promise to raise our daughter up to be a daughter of the King.  After all, we are just the King's servants who are not actually raising our daughter but raising His daughter.

So what does it mean to be a servant of the King?  Well, we are here on earth to serve God (the King) in everything we do.  I believe that we are all meant to spread the good news that God loves us so much that he sent his son to die on the cross for our sins.  For some, this may mean going overseas to other countries or becoming a pastor in your own country.  For others, this may mean being a witness to others at work or school.  Yet, for those like me, a stay at home mom, I think it is important to teach our children this "Good News".  I am not saying we cannot be a witness outside the home as well, but that our children should be our priority.  If we cannot teach our children about Christ, how can we truly teach others about Christ?

While spreading this "Good News" is important, there are other ways to show Christ's love to others, as well. We serve Christ by serving others, so we should all find ways to serve, whether it be serving our spouse, pastor, the needy, the sick, the elderly,  or our neighbors.  How will you serve Christ?

No comments:

Post a Comment