Friday, October 18, 2013

Living the Dream

Growing up I was always taught that getting an education is important.  It almost seemed as though the only way I would get anywhere in life was to go to college and get a good job.  While I agree that an education is important; I realized later that it was not the only way to have a good life.

I went to college, received my Bachelor's degree in mathematics, then continued my education getting two Master's Degrees in statistics.  Why did I get two?  Because I was originally going for my PhD. the second time around when I realized that it was not the life I wanted.  I had enough hours to get another Master's degree when I decided to quit school.  I didn't know exactly know what God had in store for me to do, but I realized some things about myself that I had never wanted to admit before.  I had been thinking about all the money I could make, and what I could do with it (even giving a good portion of it to missions and other's in need).  I had also wanted to please other people, in particular my family, who I knew were proud of how far I had gone in my education.

I realized that even if I never became rich, I could still have a great life, especially, if I allowed God to lead me.  In the short time we have been married, God has taken my husband and I on a journey of ups and downs.  We know what it is like to not have money, but like Paul stated in Philippians "I have learned to be content with whatever the circumstances."  God has always provided for our needs during the difficult times, whether it be through random gifts or random jobs.  While my life has not gone the way I planned, it is better than I could have ever imagined.  I always desired life in the country.  However, I never imagined I would move back home where I grew up with my awesome husband, my energetic little boy, and soon to be precious daughter.  I am getting my country life, and I hope that my kids will enjoy it as much as I do.  I really enjoy watching Dawson run around outside, ride his tricycle, and play in the dirt without a lot of worries...although we do have to watch out for snakes, spiders, ants, etc...he doesn't think about those things yet.

The life where Christ leads, is the life I chose.  It is the dream life!

Proverbs 22:1 "A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is greater than silver or gold."

No comments:

Post a Comment