Friday, October 11, 2013

Reasons I Chose to be a Stay at Home Mom

Many people often ask me if I plan to go back to work after the baby is here.  This is the same question I have been getting since I found out I was pregnant with our first child.  When I was pregnant with our son, I truly didn't know what my plan was.  I had always thought I would want to take off work for the first couple of years after he was born, but it wasn't until he was actually here that I realized how important it is for me to stay home with him and all our children.  Although I have an education (more than most) and I did work part time last year because we had some financial hardships, I do not intend to go back to work at least until our children are out of the house.

Now, I know some people may not agree with the reasons I chose to stay home, and I am in no way saying that it is wrong for a mother to work.  I know that there are meany reason mothers have to or choose to work, and many mothers are able to balance work with family life.  So here are my reasons (or convictions):

1.  I believe God has put mother's in charge of nurturing their children.  While father's play an important role in parenting, it is the mother's who make sure the children are fed, cleaned, and dressed.  We also, often times, are in charge of making sure that our children pick up their toys and do other "chore-like" items, as well as, teach them things like sharing with others.  I believe from the beginning of time this was God's plan for mother's.  If we go back to the fall of mankind, when Adam and Eve sinned in the garden.  God told Adam that he would have to labor hard in the fields (to provide for his family), and He told Eve that she would have labor pains during childbirth.  Many agree that the father/husband is supposed to be the primary provider, but what I myself gather from this is that the mother is supposed to have children and take care of them.

2.  Mother's can stay real busy at home, not only taking care of the children, but cleaning and cooking.  It seems that in today's society, a lot of women do not really cook, and I have noticed many don't clean much either.  Making food is now so convenient because everything comes in a box or can be ordered already made.  However, the majority of the food is not really good for us, and while it may work for some people I try not to rely on this unhealthy stuff too much.  This is any area that I am still struggling with myself because many days I do not feel like cooking or cleaning and resort to convenience, especially while pregnant.  However, when I do cook good nutritious food and clean some part of the house I am much happier knowing that I have done my job.  There is real joy in this basic living; a joy I never had while working.  I love knowing that my husband and kids have a clean house to live in and food I prepared on the table.

3.  I feel guilty when other's spend more time with my children than I do.  If I worked full time, I would be working approximately 8 hours a day 5 days a week.  How much time does that leave with our kids?  Who knows what are children are learning during those 8 hours each day.  Even if they are in the hands of people you can trust.  Think about the first couple of years when a child learns and grows so much.  I would hate to miss out on my child learning to walk, talk, and do other basic things.  I watch my son everyday exploring the world around him, saying new words/phrases, and trying new things.  I do not want to miss out on any of that.

These are just the main reasons I chose to stay home.  I know many are probably thinking, "Well, what about when they are in school?"  I actually plan to homeschool, and I will write more about my reasoning behind that maybe next time.  Until then, I challenge each of you to love your kids and spend as much time with them as you can.  You do not want to miss out on their life; after all, God trusted you with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment